About CJFMI’s Founder
President and founder of CJF Marketing International (CJFMI), Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD has over thirty-five years of retail, economic development, tourism development and shopping center experience including: regional malls, specialty centers, community centers, power centers, urban entertainment centers, downtown retail districts and commercial districts. Her work has included developing and implementing business, economic development, marketing and tourism plans; developing re-merchandising programs; coordinating business development programs for retailers; coordinating and implementing grand openings; training marketing directors and tourism managers for various types of projects; and the development and implementation of a variety of training programs and seminars.
Beginning in 1977 as marketing director of Volusia Mall in Daytona Beach, FL., Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD, immediately gained a sense of the importance of strategic planning, decision-making, implementation and follow-through. With years of experience to guide her, Carolyn brings her marketing expertise to clients and assists them in identifying critical issues and developing solutions.
As early as 1988, Carolyn gained valuable consulting experience in the Caribbean Island of Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, where she was retained to form the Downtown Management Organization (DMO) to improve the retail product of Downtown Willemstad for both the local population and tourists. Formed as a public/private organization, the DMO is still thriving today.
Throughout the years, Carolyn has held positions with leading shopping center developers and a municipality. She uses her past work experience to guide her consulting business. Positions held include:
- Director of Corporate Marketing/Director of International Sales for Turnberry Associates, a national real estate development/management company located in Aventura, FL. Directed the marketing for their regional malls and power centers, including marketing, tourism development and customer service activities. This included establishing and implementing the International Tourism Development Program with frequent participation in international trade shows and sales missions to Latin American countries to promote Aventura Mall as a shopping destination.
- Economic Development Specialist for the City of North Miami, FL, a position created to attract new business and industry to the city, as well as to develop business retention/expansion programs to expand the tax base.
- Corporate Marketing Director for the Enterprise Development Company in Columbia, MD. Responsible for the marketing of nine specialty centers and community centers and subsequently became their marketing consultant.
- Also employed by other shopping center developers and management companies including Corporate Property Investors, the former Oxford Development Company and the former E. J. DeBartolo Corporation.
- Is a member of the inaugural class of recipients of the prestigious Certified Retail Property Executive (CRX) designation from the International Council of Shopping Centers.
- Won many SASI (Shop America Salutes Innovation) Awards: Received the 2016 BEST IN SHOW and GOLD SASI (Shop America Salutes Innovation) Award for the “Exclusive China Shopping Promotion with Hainan Airlines and the MA Office of Travel & Tourism; 2013 for the Travel and Tourism program for The Outlets at Assembly Row; 2012 for South Street Seaport's Super Storm Sandy Hurricane Relief Efforts; 2011 for both “Historic Shopping & Dining Attractions” and for Gulfstream Park’s Visitor’s Programs; 2010 for both the creation of "sandestination" and for the holiday shopping packages for South Street Seaport and Faneuil Hall Marketplace; 2007 for the co-brand "NYC's Historic Shopping and Dining Attractions" - South Street Seaport and Grand Central Terminal and the grand opening Tourism Program for the Mall at Millenia in Orlando, FL.
- CJFMI’s owner, Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD spoke on a Tourism Panel at the 2016 ICSC’s RECON.
- CJFMI’s owner, Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD taught in Dubai in 2016 for the Middle East Council of Shopping Centres and the International Council of Shopping Centers' JTR School for Retail Real Estate Professionals. She taught both “Advanced Marketing & Other Strategic Planning for Optimum Productivity” and “The Team Approach for Asset Management”. She has already been invited back to teach at this same school in 2017.
- Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD traveled for the first time to Moscow to present the latest in retail and consumer trends, state of the art shopping centre programs, how to increase NOI at a shopping centre, building new markets, etc. The client was IKEA Centres Russia, which owns the largest chain of shopping centres throughout the country, called MEGA.
- Carolyn J. Feimster, CRX, CMD conducted her first webinar for the International Council of Shopping Centers titled “Optimize Revenue Through Destination Retail Tourism”.
- Asked to participate in the USTA Shopping Task Force
- Co-Chair of the NTA Shopping & Dining Committee
- Past President of SKAL International, New York City Chapter, a worldwide tourism organization
- Achieved the 2003 Shopping Tourism Person of the Year award from the Shop America Alliance at its annual Tourism Conference. Nomination and voting is by industry peers
- Appointed to the Advisory Board at the University of Florida Centre for Tourism, Research and Development.
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC) Senior Certified Marketing Director (SCMD) designation
- Year-2000 recipient of the ICSC Trustees Distinguished Service Award, an award that only 124 people in the world have received through 2016.
- Chair of the ICSC Caribbean Conference on Tourism for 2004 in Cancun, Mexico
- Co-chair of the ICSC 2001 Tourism, Leisure and Lifestyle Conference
- ICSC Eastern Divisional Public Relations and Community Service Chairman (formerly held the same position in the Southern Division)
- Member of ICSC National Public Relations Task Force
- ICSC faculty member for the School for Professional Development, both domestic and international – in Scottsdale, AZ (formerly Tempe, AZ); Michigan State in Lansing, MI; Mexico City, Mexico and Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- ICSC faculty member of the University of Shopping Centers
- Participant in ICSC overseas seminars and conferences – including Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Bangalore and New Delhi, India; Bangkok, Thailand; Buenos Aires and Cordoba, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; and Mexico City and Cancun, Mexico
- Panel participant for ICSC Fall Conventions, Conference of the Americas, Idea Exchanges and other programs
- Founding member, Past President & current Board member of the NY/NJ Council of Shopping Centers
- Member of Urban Land Institute, Florida Redevelopment Association, former member of the International Economic Development Council,
- Former member of the ICSC Certified Marketing Director Test Writing Committee, the ICSC Florida Deal Making Conference, ICSC Maxi Screening Committee, ICSC Alliance Committee, ICSC Conference of the Americas Committee
- Member of the Advisory Board of Shop America Alliance
- Chairman of the 1997 ICSC South Florida Idea Exchange
- Founding member of the Shop Miami Committee of the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau as well as the Bureau’s Tourism/Marketing Committee
- Ongoing columnist in Jonesreport, a national shopping center trade publication, on the topic of tourism
- Wrote a monthly article on Tourism for the Middle Eastern Council of Shopping Centers' (MECSC) newsletter. Articles are available on their web site: www.mecsc.org
- Assist with ICSC publications, including Marketing Shopping Centers and Tourism Development in Shopping Centers
- Recipient of numerous shopping center and advertising awards
- 1977 – Received a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Florida